To be kind does not have to expensive, take a lot of time or use a lot of your energy. Don’t get me wrong, if you have the money do use some of it for the purpose of being kind. If you have the time and extra energy do put it to use being kind. I’m just trying to let those of you who do not have extra money, time or energy that you still can make a difference. You can brighten someone’s day by simple acts of kindness.
- Smile at someone: if someone is having an unusually rough day, a smile from a stranger has the potential of brighten up their day.
- Holding a door open: If someone has their hands full or using crutches or in a wheelchair or just plain tired, it helps to hold the door open for them.
- When you are in line at a store, if someone only has one or two items to buy, let them go before you.
- If someone has made a positive difference in your life, let them know. Sometimes a person just needs to hear that they have made a positive impact on someone.
- If you love someone, tell them…often.
- Share your lunch with someone.
- When you finish reading a good book that belongs to you, leave it somewhere for someone else to enjoy.
If you do not have a lot of money, but have time and have the energy there are endless opportunities to be kind. Just remember to be kind to yourself and not over extend yourself. Things that do cost time and energy:
- Use your skills to help someone.
- Teach someone a skill you have mastered.
- If you know someone who is a caregiver, offer to give them a break by staying with their loved ones for a few minutes, a hour or longer so they can have a much needed break.
- Write a letter of encouragement. It doesn’t matter if it is a friend, family member or a stranger just sit down and write a few positive words. Perhaps something you would love to have someone tell you. Whether you do it anonymously or sign your name, it has the potential of changing someone’s life for the better.
- Visit folks in a hospital, hospice or elder care facility.
- Be a volunteer.
- Do the yard work for someone unable to do it for themselves.
There are endless examples of kindness. Please leave a comment and tell me your kindness story.
Life is good! God is great! All is right in my world!